Hey all. Okay, so I wanted to go some sort of weekly meme-type thing on here. Cause they’re fun. Since I’m just starting this blog and I have no idea how many people are even paying attention (mainly because I can’t figure out how to get WordPress to tell me how many subscribers I have), I’m not going to put a linky widget here or anything. But please feel free to leave me lots of comments with your opinions and answers, kay?
So Wednesday Sevens is essentially going to be a weekly list per a topic I think up. Because I like lists. And I don’t do any other Wednesday memes. And because 7 is kind of a random number but I like it.
This week, since it’s the first week, I’m starting off kind of basic. Can you name Seven Favorite TV Shows?
1. Dexter: Dexter is BAD ASS. It’s on Showtime, so unfortunately I have to wait until each season comes out on DVD to watch it. But Dexter revolves around – you guessed it – Dexter. He’s a blood splatter analyst for the Miami PD, but he’s also a serial killer who only kills bad people. Honestly, the show isn’t TOO gruesome. And there’s a little bit of nudity and such. I really think that the only reason this show is on Showtime is because the subject matter is touchy for some people. A serial killer who you’re supposed to cheer for? For shame! Love this show though.
2. Charmed: Yeah, I know it’s over. But it’s one of those shows that I can watch over and over again. As most of you probably know, it follows the lives of three sister witches (well, technically 4 sisters) who fight evil. Eight season long and it’s just great. I actually think that I’ll start re-watching this show again soon, cause I haven’t in about two years. And since I usually have a lot of time to kill at work, should take me a month or two to get through the whole thing. (Oh and BTW, my favorite sister is Piper. Which I why I searched for a picture that put her in the front.)
3. Firefly: Again, this show is over. Unfortunately, it only lasted one season before stupid Fox cancelled it. I didn’t watch it when it was on, mainly because I didn’t know about it. But now that I have watched it, and see the follow-up movie Serenity, I’m pissed that it didn’t last longer. In Firefly, humanity is scattered throughout space on a number of different terra-formed planets because we ruined Earth. The main cultures to survive this are apparently Southern / western-day like cultures, and the Chinese. Weird mix, I know. But seriously, this show is every man’s dream. How many men dreamt about being a space cowboy? Well ta-da! Captain Malcolm Reynolds and his crew live on the ship Serenity, taking odd jobs here and there to stay flying and to stay away from the government AKA The Alliance. Awesome stuff, I promise. Rent it from Netflix sometime, it’s great.
4. Cougar Town: As you guessed from my last post, I love Cougar Town! It’s about a group of friends, including Jules Cobb AKA Courtney Cox, living in Florida. GREAT sitcom, especially if you love comedy. Which I do. I’m very happy that it’s on tonight. I have amaretto sour makings in the cabinet waiting 🙂
5. Friends: Again, I know the show is over. But I love rewatching it. It’s just so familiar. When I go over to my older sister’s to hang out, a lot of times we end up having a drink and watching Friends while eating dessert. It’s the best. And it’s like The Simpsons – it’s just so quotable. I love that.
6. True Blood: Like Dexter, I usually have to wait for the DVD release to be able to watch it. But I love it nonetheless. It’s almost kind of soap-opera-ish cause there’s so much drama and stuff going on, but the characters are awesome and I love the paranormal aspects of it. Plus, I like vampires. (BEFORE the Twilight fad, mind you.) For peeps who somehow don’t really know what the show is about – mind-reader Sookie Stackhouse falls in love with a vampire and all sort of stuff happens in her little Louisiana town as a result. In this world, vampires are a well-known fact. Vamps come “out of the coffin” when synthetic blood is perfected.
7. The Office: The last but not least. This is another hysterical comedy. I have very fond memories of when I decided to try out the first season. The honeyman and I used to curl up on my mom’s couch and watch it for hours, laughing our asses off and drinking root beer floats. Now, every time I have a root beer float I feel like watching The Office. Weird how that happens. Basically an office of people deal with their super weird and sometimes annoying boss, Michael Scott AKA Steve Carell. I heard that season 7 is going to be Carell’s last though… really don’t know how much I’ll like the show after that.
Now I’m a little bummed that I decided to make this weekly thing a “seven” thing, cause I could name more. These shows get an honorable mention: Scrubs, Pushing Daisies, Lost, and House. You may have noticed that a lot of the shows I’ve mentioned aren’t on tv anymore, or are finished. I really need to find some newer shows to watch.
SO, that’s it! What are 7 of your favorite shows? Please leave me some comment love and share. Next week’s topic will be Favorite Movies. See you then!
This is without a doubt my newest favorite show. It reminds me of Friends. And I love Friends – it’s one of those shows that I can reference in nearly any situation, and that always makes me giggle. I’m now watching Cougar Town Season 1 for the third time, and it’s just like that. It’s a feel-good kind of show.
So, what’s it about? The title is misleading. Yes, the first 1/3 of the show or so is about how Jules Cobb is dealing with being newly single in her 40’s. When the show starts, she just recently got divorced from her husband Bobby. Her one son, Travis is about 18 and getting ready to go off to college and start his own life. So now Jules is ready to start over, and the show starts off with her trying to find her way as a single 40-year old mom. She goes through a couple flings with hot younger guys, but by the end of the first season the show becomes a lot more than that.
My favorite thing about this show is the characters. Here’s a breakdown of the major characters:
Jules Cobb = Played by Courtney Cox, she’s essentially the main character. She started her own real estate business and is pretty successful. She’s 40, drinks a lot of wine, and is a little crazy. She’s my least favorite character. Sometimes Jules seems a little too like Monica from Friends in personality. (I wish Cox could distance herself a bit from her former character.)
Ellie Torres = Played by Christa Miller (also played Jordan on Scrubs. I LOVE her!), is Jules’ best friend and next-door neighbor. She’s married to Andy Torres, and they have a infant son named Stan. Ellie doesn’t work, is mean and snarky, and also loves wine. She also hates that Jules is trying to get out and be young again, and she hates Jules other BFF Laurie. Ellie’s probably my favorite character. I love snark.
Laurie Keller = Played by Busy Philipps, Laurie is Jules’ other best friend. She’s in her 20’s and works as Jules’ assistant at her real estate office. She’s fun, loud, and kind of skanky but she’s also really sweet and hilarious. She pushes Jules to get back out into the world. She ties Ellie for my favorite character, I just love them both. Plus, you can follow Laurie on Twitter as TheLarmy. Laurie tweets for 24 hours after each show. It’s great.
Andy Torres = Played by Ian Gomez, he is Ellie’s husband. He has a good job that supports his family, and he’s totally submissive to Ellie but it doesn’t come off as too weird. He’s a little too comfortable with his sexuality, and he has a total bromance going on with Bobby.
Bobby Cobb = Played by Brian Van Holt, he’s Jules’ redneck ex-husband. He’s VERY white trash but also really happy-go-lucky and funny. He’s really good at golfing and attempts to be a pro. Him and Jules have a good relationship, even though he spent most of their marriage cheating on her. I don’t really understand that, but whatever. It works.
Greyson Ellis = Played by Josh Hopkins, he lives across the street from Jules. He’s recently divorced, and constantly bringing younger girls home with him. It infuriates Jules cause they’re about the same age, and it bothers her that it’s easier for 40-year old men to be single. He’s very snarky and kind of closed off, but is slowly drawn into Jules’ little circle of friends. He plays guitar and makes up silly songs.
Travis Cobb = Played by Dan Byrd, he is Jules & Bobby’s 18-year old son. He’s kind of sarcastic and smart and nerdy. He’s pretty funny, but I wouldn’t consider him one of the big-time members of the show except that he causes a lot of drama for Jules.
So that’s the main crew. I recently had The Honeyman watch the whole season with me, and he admits that he liked it. It seems like a totally girly show! But there are a TON of laugh-out-loud moments. The show comes out Wednesday nights at 9:30 (Eastern time) and I love getting a big glass of wine (or an amaretto sour if I’m out of wine) and curling up on the couch to watch this show. I look forward to it every week.
I mentioned before that the title isn’t really suitable anymore. She creators of the show, namely Bill Lawrence, almost changed the title of the show because it wasn’t really what the plot was about anymore. However, the title stayed because they couldn’t think of a better one. And probably because they didn’t want to risk losing any fans who already watched the show and might have been confused by a name-change.
Instead, in the 2nd season they kind of started making fun of the title. In the opening sequence, instead of “Welcome to” being written above the title Cougar Town, they started putting other things there like “Badly Titled” Cougar Town or “It’s Okay to Watch a Show Called” Cougar Town. Cracks me up every week.
Hey, welcome there to Sarah Says Watch It. Basically I love blogging about books so much, I decided to come over here to wordpress and try out a whole new blog, in which I post about movies, tv shows, and occasionally music. Bear with me while I learn how to use wordpress… it seems complicated. But I’m sure I’ll get the hang of it.
Coming hopefully later tonight… a review of Cougar Town: Season One, which I am re-watching for the 3rd time now.
Also, I’m thinking of doing a weekly meme here on Wednesdays or Thursdays… more to come later.